Friday, October 13, 2006

No, no, no

Douglas started wearing underwear about two weeks ago, and does great at using the potty... for peeing. The other part is not going so well. He decided he is not going to poop any more, ever again. Being two he is not interested in listening to other people tell him what to do, either.

Yesterday it had been 5 days since he had pooped and we started getting really worried. I emailed the pediatrician and he suggested a variety of remedies (milk of magnesia being a last resort, not to be used more than once every two weeks; senakot or a child's version thereof being a less radical helper, along with pear juice, etc.). We had a little luck with the peach juice and senakot, so we'll have to see how it goes.

I've mentioned it to a few people and more than one have said their child had the same problem (reluctance to poop) and it became a long-term problem. My co-worker said her daughter, who is in college, still has issues with it and that it was really a problem when she went to college and had no privacy in the bathroom. Another friend said her 6 year old still retains and will once in a while stop eating and have stomachaches because of it.

Sigh. I hope this is not going to become anything long term.

If it's not one thing, it's another.

2 Comments:

At 7:49 PM , Blogger Cynthia Bostwick said...

Katherine I can't believe I am writing this but I thought it might help--

My Ben has been going through this too. He's 2 1/2--it's hit or miss on the pee-potty trianing and I figure the poop thing is the only one he can really control--so he has real bouts of constipation. He dances up and down to try to avoid it.

The last few days I have just been very casually saying to him "It's OK, just let it come" and making a grunting noise. He stops dancing then and does just let it come.

I'd rather have a delayed potty trained kid than and anal retentive college boy!

Hope this helps.

Like your blog, too, it's very real.

Cindy

 
At 9:05 PM , Blogger Katherine said...

Thanks for the suggestions! We seem to be having somewhat better luck lately...
-Katherine

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home