Thursday, August 17, 2006

What to Eat

I'm currently reading What to Eat, by Marion Nestle, which gives nutrition information by going through the supermarket section by section and discussing various food related issues in each area. For example, I just read the produce section and she talks about things like wax on the fruits and vegetables, GMO foods, organics, pesticide residues, microbes and so forth. It's pretty interesting. She has a very sensible approach to things and talks about the latest thinking in food research but with a very approachable and understandable style. (Actually, I was hoping for more footnotes so I could see what research she was basing her remarks on, but there don't seem to be any footnotes, unlike The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan.) She used to be a nutrition professor at Berkeley but now is at NYU. It's a huge book - get it from the library.

2 Comments:

At 1:18 PM , Blogger Liz said...

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll get it from the library.

 
At 9:34 AM , Blogger Katherine said...

I was reading the section about meat last night. It's pretty interesting.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home