Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Weekend update

We had a nice weekend. I have some pictures but will have to try to upload them later on. Douglas and I went out to West Valley Alpacas in rural Yolo County on Saturday to pick up some raw alpaca fiber to bring in to Owen's class. I am (hopefully) going to be teaching knitting, or something like that, to Owen's class this year, and wanted to get some unspun fiber to show them. They have 11 alpacas but are having a hard time making ends meet apparently because the fiber can be obtained much more cheaply from Peru. The alpacas were cute.

Yesterday morning our block had a block party brunch for labor day. We had a good time at that.

A Dollar Tree just opened up in the space that had been vacant for years a few blocks away. Whoopee. Douglas and I went to check it out yesterday while Dan took Owen to soccer practice. I managed to get away with only spending four dollars. Douglas wanted a recorder, which was a bargain for a dollar, and a cheesy knight helmet which was perhaps overpriced at a dollar. Some band-aids and bubble bath rounded out the purchase.

We've been reading some cowboy books so I wanted to get an album of cowboy songs. We went to Border's and found something called "Classic Cowboy Songs" by Sons of the Pioneers. It's ok but I suspect there is something better out there.

Meanwhile, our neighbor across the street had her dubious daughter move back in with her lowlife boyfriend and his pit bull, and there seem to be some strange activities going on there. Last night I woke up at 2 am and there was a pickup truck going up and down the street and idling in front of their house, and the driver was whistling to try to wake up the two of them. He didn't manage to do it but came back 45 minutes later. I called the police but they came 20 minutes after the guy left, unfortunately. I dropped by the mom's office today to discuss it and she said the two of them are planning to move to Montana except that none of their three cars are running. I told the mom that I heard their car go by around 3:30 this morning, which seemed to surprise her. Hopefully they will be gone soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home